Tuesday 5 November 2013

Metis model to explore how I wanted a somewhat monolithic front wall to control the view of the garden until entry though the doorway so as not to dilute the effect of the perspective trickery. I wanted this to recall the way these gardens were originally intended to be viewed from above, from a building. It also helped me to work out the exagerated foreshortening. First I distorted the broken up parterre pattern, narrowing it at one end, creating an optical illusion to make the garden stretch further away from the entrance than it actually does, then I placed in on an angle, higher towards the entrance, to add to this effect.I wanted the viewer to almost picture the vanishing point, and I think the last photo illustrates this. The model also helped to visualise the effects of the shadows on the ground, which were an important addition to this illusion. It did NOT help me at all with the placment of the broken parterre pieces. Trying to cut out the foamboard for this was a total waste of time, so I moved onto a sketchup model to sort this out.




No comments:

Post a Comment