Saturday 7 December 2013

Working up the trace layers for Dickens Park.....I have found myself focusing all week on how I can get the locals out of their flats and into my parks. As far as I can see the locals have been badly let down by Southwark around Elephant and Castle. The exicitng promised plans for the shopping mall and the roundabout itself have vanished and the Heygate was one big series of ignored consultations & conveniently misquoted research results, which ended in the disaspora of almost all it's residents and almost no decent return for the people in the area. I feel I have to design something to help the locals heal their own community. It's all about building a neighbourhood identity, and creating a beautiful place where people can meet each other, work on things together for their own environment and EVERYONE is welcome, not just arty farty types and already empowered people who can easily end up setting the agenda. Social change through parks and streetscape. SO! My 'Playful' scheme for Dickens Square is centred around the motif of drips. Drip by drip the area can come alive. Plus it's great to be at the drawing board and not the PC!


No comments:

Post a Comment